You cannot simply slap a skills section on to your resume without prior thought. You need to assess the entire page and determine where that section will logically fit in with your other information. Before typing the section on to your page, prepare a few things first.
- Evaluate your worth and accomplishments that you have accumulated and make a list of jobs and positions that you have worked. Record anything that you feel you may have gained from those experiences.
- See the list of Top Job Skills Employers Like to See and take what you have gained from your repertoire and make it fit into one of the categories.
- Use a standard job skill as your heading and list with two or three bullets underneath of that skill, reasons why your job experience has earned you that skill. Incorporate the use of action verbs and keywords in your bullet points to emphasize your success.
- Connect each one that you list to a general goal that is related to your field that you wish to accomplish.
- Arrange all of your headings from most descriptive and important to least impressive.
There are endless combinations of job skills that you could potentially list, but some stand out more than others to employers as being desirable. If you describe yourself as having one of these powerful skills in the workplace, and have the experience to support your reasoning, your resume could stand out to employers.
- Software or Language Proficiency
- Customer Service
- Astounding Work Ethic
Skills Section Examples
Now that you have a working idea of what should be involved in this section, observe these examples to get a feel for how to adapt your own personal work history to a general skill.
- Conducted several meetings every week, addressing a crowd of fifty employees to inform them of daily changes of company activity.
- Corresponded with twenty department heads to correlate each individual department's needs biweekly.
- Implemented a weekly meeting system in which staff members congregate to educate one another about the various systems and equipment usage.
- Participated in All Star Team fifty hour training and received certificate in Team Management.